Re: Uniformity (was: Is Elisp really that slow?)

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Uniformity (was: Is Elisp really that slow?)
Date: Sun, 19 May 2019 01:51:59 +0200

Stefan Monnier wrote:

> Right. I wouldn't invest money in Emacs,
> indeed. But we're not driven by money,
> luckily, so matters of "market" don't drive
> us. I have no hope/intention of making Emacs
> into the dominant editor "on the market".
> Instead, I try to improve Emacs as much as
> I can so as to make it as pleasant as
> possible *for Emacs users and hackers*.
>
> Emacs fills a particular niche nowadays and
> trying to make it compete against something
> like Sublime is not only unlikely to succeed
> but it's likely to make you lose your niche
> (because it'll be basically a different text
> editor).
>
> IOW, if I were starting from scratch, I'd
> implement my editor very differently.
> But I don't think we can realistically get
> there from where we are (other than starting
> from scratch, that is).

Agree 100%.

We don't need to compete with anyone. We have
our own software which we are happy with.

We would like others to come to us, but we
can't force them and we don't want to
try, either.

Emacs is good but as with everything else it
can always get better. That is not a bad thing,
it is a good thing, and it is part of the game.

So _join the game_ at whatever level or place
you'd like to be, is much better than
complaining here Emacs isn't as good as some
other editor or IDE.

Just do it! Maybe you even grow wings, like
Nike, who isn't a shoe brand, if anyone thought
so...

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573