Re: Is Elisp really that slow?

From: 조성빈
Subject: Re: Is Elisp really that slow?
Date: Sun, 19 May 2019 19:35:58 +0900

2019. 5. 19. 오후 5:16, Van L <van@scratch.space> 작성:

> Emanuel Berg writes:
>
>> Ergus wrote:
>> I don't consider myself an Emacs expert -
>> far from it. But I've been here for 10+
>> years, so I'm happy with my Emacs and my
>> skill level.  But this place still
>> doesn't feel like home!  That is strange.
>
> Is it possible to have the best of all possible
> worlds?
>
> For conservatives, a winter release of old gold keybindings.
> For the free radicals, a spring release with modernizations.

What if having a compatibility-mode that can be activated by something like:
```elisp
(classic-keybindings-mode 1)
```
and refine the default keybindings to be more consistent/mnemonic? People who
miss the old keybindings will be elisp-proficient; Adding 1 s-exp to the init
file won’t be a barrier.
For the refined keybindings, Spacemacs can provide a good starting point.

> When I use a long M-x sequence, a shortcut suggestion appears. It disappears
> before I can catch it. Can it stay for 30 seconds? Can there be an instant
> interactive override to set it whatever you like?

I would like a semi-AI that suggests interactive functions based on key presses
or actions the user performs... `You can use C-e (goto-end-line) to perform 12
keystokes you performed.'
Saying about discoverability, I would like a context-sensitive right-click
mouse menu, something like Microsoft Office. Most newcomers are familiar with
finding functionality with the mouse; and it isn’t intuitive to find new
keybindings/functions that Emacs provide to boost productivity. (Actually,
that’s one of my problems; how should I find new functions...?)