Re: Ctrl-[ ?

From: tomas
Subject: Re: Ctrl-[ ?
Date: Sat, 8 Jun 2019 15:58:53 +0200

On Sat, Jun 08, 2019 at 04:30:14PM +0300, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > From: Óscar Fuentes <ofv@wanadoo.es>
> > Date: Sat, 08 Jun 2019 15:06:54 +0200
> >
> > Nobody is asking for a change on the default bindings, what we are
> > saying it that the user should be allowed to set the binding the
> > same way he does for any other binding.
>
> If you or someone else believe they know enough about the Emacs
> keyboard input processing to propose its redesign which will satisfy
> the above requirement [...]

> Current situation is nowhere near such expertise.  Suffices it to say
> that several times during the recent years when we needed to make
> seemingly-simple changes and fixes in that code, no one had the
> courage to approve such changes.  For some of them, it later turned
> out that we broke some subtle but important use cases, for others we
> still have our fingers crossed.  So please don't expect any
> significant redesigns in that any time soon, as long as all we do is
> vent steam here.  We have an enormously complex piece of software on
> our hands, and we have no better choice than going the "inconvenient"
> ways when we want to rebind an unusual key.

Well said. The only one stepping forward with some code was Stefan,
and personally, I find it a bit discouraging that folks just keep
saying what "Emacs Should Do" without investing much effort into
understanding what's there and what other users need/want.

Software development is a collective effort, and it takes listening
as well as talking, I think.

Cheers
-- tomás