Does emacs cache something on windows when invoking call-process?

From: Eighty Megabytes
Subject: Does emacs cache something on windows when invoking call-process?
Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2019 16:03:39 +0200 (CEST)

I have the same search command line which is practically instantaneous in the
windows command prompt, but it takes several seconds when executed via
call-process.

So I try it in the command prompt, it's instantaneous.

Then I try the same command line from emacs via call-process and it takes
several seconds.

Subsequent calls via call-process are instantaneous until I don't use the
feature for a while. Then the next invocation from emacs becomes slow again.

So this behavior raises 2 questions:

1. Why is the same command much slower when invoked via call-process?

2. What does that first call-process call does/caches in emacs which makes
subsequent calls quick until it forgets something and it's slow again?