Re: Does emacs cache something on windows when invoking call-process?

From: Eighty Megabytes
Subject: Re: Does emacs cache something on windows when invoking call-process?
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2019 23:10:42 +0200 (CEST)

> IME, anti-virus software is generally OK (with minor exceptions --
> there are a couple of them that should be avoided at all costs), but
> you need to configure it so it gets out of your way.  For example,
> binaries that you build yourself should be exempt from having all the
> files they open examined, it's enough to have the binary itself
> examined (to make sure no malware attaches itself to it).  I suspect
> Emacs in your use case is one such program.

Only the default Windows Defender is on my machine, but it cannot
be configured, so a binary is "exempt from having all the files
they open examined". I can exclude processes from the check, or
directories, so in this case excluding source directories seemed
to be the way to go.

This made Dumb Jump usable for me on Windows. Dumb Jump is a code
navigation package which does not require building tags tables at
all (so they can't go out of sync), because ripgrep is so quick
that it simply greps the code to find the relevant location when
you want jump to it and it's instantaneous, especially after the
first run when the OS caches the source files in memory.