Re: What is the policy for moving a feature into core or not?

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: What is the policy for moving a feature into core or not?
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2019 15:05:38 +0100

ndame <emacsuser@freemail.hu> writes:

> Let's take the kill ring. It's a central piece of emacs, yet I don't see any
> keyboard
> based solution built in to browse and search the kill ring. M-y is extremely
> basic. There is
> a menu, but it's mouse based, inefficient.
>
> There are external packages, of course, but I wonder if there should be a
> builtin way to
> navigate and search the kill ring from the keyboard. By builtin I mean a
> package available
> from at least elpa.

Elpa has undo-tree.

> Is there a current policy which governs what features are integrated into the
> core (elpa)
> and what features are left to outside developers?

Elpa is not core. Anyone can contribute a package to Elpa as long as it
meets certain quality and legal requirements. It is relatively easy and
painless.

Contributions to core Emacs must meet much more strict quality and
usability requirements. Typically, long discussions ensue even for
apparently trivial details.

BTW, I'm not an Emacs maintainer. This is what I learnt after years of
observing the community.