Re: Wrestling with set-fontset-font

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Wrestling with set-fontset-font
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2019 22:02:12 +0200

> From: Kévin Le Gouguec <kevin.legouguec@gmail.com>
> Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2019 19:15:25 +0100
>
> I would like to setup Emacs to look at Noto Color Emoji first, then at
> Symbola, for characters belonging to the "symbol" script.  For a while I
> thought this bit of configuration worked:
>
> (set-fontset-font t 'symbol "Symbola" nil 'prepend)
> (when (>= emacs-major-version 27)
>   (set-fontset-font t 'symbol "Noto Color Emoji" nil 'prepend))
>
> Then I realized that for some reason, one specific character (⚙ U+2699
> GEAR) remains stubbornly displayed with DejaVu Sans Mono.

Emacs by default prefers using the default font for displaying symbol
and punctuation characters, if that font supports them.  Set
use-default-font-for-symbols to nil to force Emacs always select the
font according to your fontsets, when it needs to display such
characters, even if the default font can display them.