Re: 26.3, 28; Set Default Font... CMU Typewriter Text

From: VanL
Subject: Re: 26.3, 28; Set Default Font... CMU Typewriter Text
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2020 02:31:16 +1100

Robert Pluim <rpluim@gmail.com> writes:

> OK, but that has nothing to do with FontBackend. If the default font
> is not to your liking, you can change it easily enough.

>From what I can tell, the Cairo and Harbuzz parts in the Emacs has
something to do with FontBackend.   They are preferred to xft, maybe.

> The delay I think is inevitable when Emacs has to search through lots
> of fonts.

OK, but where are those loops in the source code?   And can the initial
start phase preload the fonts in memory?   The fonts reside at the X
server and client ends.   Why the busy network transfer?

-- VL
"The number two was particularly ugly." -Donald E. Knuth