Re: MELPA upgrade error

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: MELPA upgrade error
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2020 00:15:15 +0100

Stefan Monnier wrote:

>> The trick to obtain the number for the f1
>> fn-key is
>
> There is no "number" for the `f1` key.

As for `help-char', one can test it like this:

    (setq help-char 46) ; was 8 which is C-h
    (setq help-form (message "help-form executed")) ; was nil

and then type a dot (.) - the number for the
dot char is 46, which can be confirmed with
ascii(1).

Type a dot and you'll see "help-form executed"
executed on the screen. But then, of course,
C-h doesn't work anymore. C-h, or ^H, is 8.
Again use ascii,

    $ ascii '^H'

As for [f1], now the functions keys don't work
for me in the Linux VT (well, they could,
I think, with this method [1], but I don't want
them to as to use them would require moving the
hands from the beloved asdf and jkl; positions)
- but for an X instance of Emacs, it should
work inside, outside, and out of the box with
the familiar syntax:

    (global-set-key [f1] #'beginning-of-buffer)

[1] https://dataswamp.org/~incal/tty-emacs-keys.txt

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573