Re: `string-to-number' 0

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: `string-to-number' 0
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2020 09:44:34 +0100

VanL wrote:

>> (string-to-number "a") ; 0
>> (string-to-number "0") ; 0
>> (string-to-number "1") ; 1
>>
>> From the docstring: "Return 0 if STRING
>> cannot be parsed as an integer or floating
>> point number."
>
> (string-to-number "<f1>") ; 60

I get two big 0s:

  (string-to-number "a")    ; 0
  (string-to-number "<f1>") ; 0

The docstring also says "Parse STRING as
a decimal number and return the number."

... but isn't 0 a decimal number?

But come to think of it, it actually DOES work
for 0!

  (string-to-number "0") ; 0

Its just one can't tell that from the bogus
inputs and their outputs, which are 0 as well.
One can just verify the input, I guess.

Meta: I got this message as a mail, and it
seems it didn't show up in <gmane.emacs.help>.
So I suppose I reply to it as a mail as well,
and that defaults to To: header to the previous
poster, and Cc: header to
<help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>. Keep it uptime. Atem.

--
underground experts united