Re: [emacs-w3m:13607] Re: Browser Fingerprinting

From: tomas
Subject: Re: [emacs-w3m:13607] Re: Browser Fingerprinting
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2020 10:17:06 +0200

On Thu, Apr 16, 2020 at 10:55:14PM -0400, Boruch Baum wrote:

[...]

> > Does your browser protect from fingerprinting?       ✗ no
>
> This has me puzzled. How did the website reach this answer? My memory of
> this subject is that fingerprinting can only happen when the client
> either voluntarily puts fingerprinting data in HTTP GET/POST requests,

"Browser fingerprinting" is just a catch-all term for trying to
extract as many tidbits of characteristics to be able to identify
that individual browser instance. This can range from "voluntarily"
provided model/version up to some image rendering timings, etc.

See [1] to get an idea.

Cheers

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Browser_fingerprinting#Browser_fingerprint
-- t