Re: How can i enable webmode?

From: Dan Sommers
Subject: Re: How can i enable webmode?
Date: Sun, 10 May 2020 12:55:47 -0400

On Sun, 10 May 2020 18:13:35 +0200
dieter@duenenhof-wilhelm.de (H. Dieter Wilhelm) wrote:

> For example the Melpa package `inform' is activating itsel during
> installation (and maybe by restarting Emacs in some situations).  The
> motivation is: If you are interested you'll have it without much ado
> and if you don't like it any more just uninstall the small package.

> Does it make sense or do you regard this behaviour as impolite?

In a word, impolite.  IMO.  YMMV.  I don't know what `inform' does or
which underlying mechanism `inform' uses to activate itself, but does it
clean up after itself (cleanly and completely) when you uninstall it, or
does it leave "harmless" code somewhere where it might be dangerous
later?  Does it have better-than-reasonable default behavior, and whose
opinion?

This came up, oh, I don't know, years ago in terms of new Emacs
features.  Should they be enabled by default, so that new users don't
have to start with a 15 (or 30) year old system and add the modern
conveniences they expected out of the box?  Or should they be disabled,
so that experienced users aren't annoyed by someone else's shiny
objects?