Re: Hunspell and contractions with apostrophes

From: Yuri Khan
Subject: Re: Hunspell and contractions with apostrophes
Date: Wed, 27 May 2020 11:22:42 +0700

On Wed, 27 May 2020 at 07:23, Dmitry Alexandrov <dag@gnui.org> wrote:

> First and foremost, your ’ is *not* an apostrophe, itʼs a right quote.
> Apostrophe is ʼ.
> I you insist on using right single quote as apostrophe, though, I have no
> idea, how to make ispell.el pass it to hunspell(1) as a part of a word.
> Neither why ever do that.

Because the Unicode standard says so.
<https://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U2000.pdf>, entry for U+2019:

    2019 ’ RIGHT SINGLE QUOTATION MARK
           = single comma quotation mark
           • this is the preferred character to use for apostrophe
           → 0027 ' apostrophe
           → 02BC ʼ modifier letter apostrophe
           → 275C ❜ heavy single comma quotation mark ornament

(Yes, it’s unfortunate for word boundary algorithms.)

Also, <https://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U02B0.pdf>:

    02BC ʼ MODIFIER LETTER APOSTROPHE
           = apostrophe
           • glottal stop, glottalization, ejective
           • many languages use this as a letter of their alphabets
           • used as a tone marker in Bodo, Dogri, and Maithili
           • 2019 ’ is the preferred character for a punctuation apostrophe
           → 0027 ' apostrophe
           → 0313  ̓ combining comma above
           → 0315  ̕ combining comma above right
           → 055A ՚ armenian apostrophe