Re: Hunspell and contractions with apostrophes

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: Hunspell and contractions with apostrophes
Date: Thu, 28 May 2020 10:30:28 -0700

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net>
>> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>> Date: Thu, 28 May 2020 07:00:48 -0700
>>
>> > Can you show that setting?  Maybe we will be able to tell you what was
>> > wrong about it.
>>
>> The setting was just:
>>
>> (setq ispell-personal-dictionary "~/.aspell.en_US.pws")
>
> So if you now set that variable again to the name of an empty file,
> and then restart Emacs, you again have the problem?  Or is the problem
> happening only with some specific contents of the personal dictionary?
> If the latter, perhaps some word in your personal dictionary causes
> that?

Okay, looks like there is something bogus in my personal dictionary. I
removed the customization altogether (which caused the contraction
problem to go away), saved a few words to my personal dictionary, and
that created the file ~/.hunspell_en_US.

Then I restarted, set `ispell-personal-dictionary' to a non-existent
file, restarted, and saved some more words. They went into the new file,
but interestingly ~/.hunspell_en_US was still honored. I've _never_
understood the interaction between all the various options here, so this
was good information. I guess there's no need to set
`ispell-personal-dictionary' at all, unless I want to keep the
dictionary in a git repo or something.

I'll figure out what's wrong with my old dictionary. It's got Chinese
and Arabic in it (and I note is saved as UTF-8 whereas ~/.hunspell_en_US
is ASCII) so maybe that has something to do with it. I tried
spellchecking a Chinese word and hunspell just errored, so there's no
point putting Chinese in there to begin with.

Anyway... thanks for walking me through this.

Eric