Re: Emacs as a translator's tool

From: Marcin Borkowski
Subject: Re: Emacs as a translator's tool
Date: Mon, 08 Jun 2020 21:45:09 +0200

On 2020-06-08, at 08:30, Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text
editor <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> wrote:

> Marcin Borkowski wrote:
>
>> Thanks, but this won't work in this form
>
> It works, check out this dump:
>   <https://dataswamp.org/~incal/pimgs/cat.png>
>
>> as you don't move the point to the overlay before.
>
> ... not sure I'm following, but there is only one
> overlay, point is moved both ways with
> `forward-sentence' and `backward-sentence', the
> overlay is moved with `move-overlay'. point is always
> at the beginning of a sentence.

Well, it works, but it does not what I would want it to do.  (Well,
I haven't tested it, but I am pretty sure, since the code is quite
simple.)

What I want is this: I have the source in, say, buffer A, and I perform
the translation in, say, buffer B.  The overlay is in buffer A, and
I want to move it to the next sentence (in buffer A) _without moving the
point away from buffer B_.

My code does exactly that (even if inefficiently).

Best,

--
Marcin Borkowski
http://mbork.pl