Re: Emacs as a translator's tool

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Emacs as a translator's tool
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2020 17:33:18 +0200

Jean-Christophe Helary wrote:

>> The Emacs sentence format and associated functions
>> certainly makes sense to use but with tweaked
>> settings to get in particular shorter segments
>> I think would benefit both searching the DB and
>> getting better results.
>
> Sure, but it's not trivial to find "natural"
> subsegments with the tools at hand.

That's why I hoped someone already did it :(

Well, obviously someone did!

It isn't trivial, no, and regexps will only get you
that far. Here one should get proper parsing IMO.

But let's postpone this for now...

>> So yes, where do you get the database?
>
> In most of the cases, it's something the translator
> build from her own translations.

Really? That's cool, then you can have your own style
from day 1, and the more you do it, the stronger you
get...

Any suggestions as to the format of the database?

Just because a database can be as simple as a text
file [1] it doesn't mean it should be, always.

[1] https://dataswamp.org/~incal/bike/TIRE

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573