Re: Tramp prompt (?) issue

From: 2QdxY4RzWzUUiLuE
Subject: Re: Tramp prompt (?) issue
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2020 16:46:22 -0500

On 2020-07-31 at 21:57:38 +0200,
Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
<help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> wrote:

> Michael Albinus wrote:

> > What do you see, if you call manually
> >
> > # ssh -l embe8573 -o ControlMaster=auto -o
> > ControlPath='tramp.%C' -o ControlPersist=no -e none
> > polhem.it.uu.se
>
> $ sudo ssh -l embe8573 -o ControlMaster=auto -o ControlPath='tramp.%C' -o
> ControlPersist=no -e none polhem.it.uu.se
> Password: ***
> Last login: Fri Jul 31 21:48:18 2020 from c-fd84225c.021-
> .Z. ls

I've been half following this thread, because I've also had weird issues
with tramp over the years, but it's been a long time, and I have nothing
new to add on that front.

With that disclaimer out of the way, why are you running ssh under root
and/or sudo, and do you get different results if you don't?  Are you
running emacs as root, or under sudo, or as a regular user?  I ask
because very often root has an entirely separate set of rules for remote
access, on both client and server, and sudo can add its own permission
and environment related issues.

HTH,
Dan