Re: Another Emacs incompatibilty

From: Torbjörn Granlund
Subject: Re: Another Emacs incompatibilty
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2020 22:16:20 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

  It would help if you'd tell what changes in how region works you are
  alluding to.  I use Emacs for the last 30 years, and the way region
  works for me didn't change at all, AFAICT.  So I'm really puzzled by
  what you say here.

Mark a region, immediately press e.g. "A".  The region is zapped and
replaced by an A.

That used to insert an A at the insert point since TECO emacs until a
few releases back.

(There is also an implicit mode in the new behavioutr: Only regions just
created exhibit the incompatible zap behavioutr.)

  In any case, whenever a backward-incompatible change happens, there's
  usually a way, called out in NEWS, to get back old behavior.

How about keeping the accepted interface and document in NEWS how to
make it work in a new, incompatible way?

--
Torbjörn
Please encrypt, key id 0xC8601622