Re: memory leaks

From: Madhu
Subject: Re: memory leaks
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2020 15:36:57 +0530

* Stefan Monnier <jwvh7s1780o.fsf-monnier+emacs@gnu.org> :
Wrote on Sun, 13 Sep 2020 16:14:36 -0400:
> The `garbage-collect` command actually can return info about the current
> Lisp heap use.  The `memory-usage` package can display it in a more
> user-friendly format.
>
> That can be very useful to see if those 500MB belong to the Lisp heap or
> to ... something else (typically libraries, like those of the GUI or
> those used to display images).

The numbers I reported by garbage-collect do not account for the memory
usage. FWIW I've posted that info again at

In 2019 i suspected the culprit was the fonts system.  It doesn't seem
to be toolkit related. I don't use emacs as an imageviewer (but I have
to check that). Since the interest in CONFIG_PSI there are a number of
tools on github that monitor memory - it should be possible to come up
with some tool that alerts emacs of memory surges while keeping some
history.