Re: Modifier Keys and the Archaic Meta Key

From: Christopher Dimech
Subject: Re: Modifier Keys and the Archaic Meta Key
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 2020 22:30:19 +0100

> It seems to me that only makes sense on your keyboard, not mine.
> I have no problem with allowing users the ability to define other modifier
> keys,
> but that would likely require the underlying code to support more morifier
> bits
> that is does currently.

C* I was just discussing the customary modifier keys historically associated
with
Emacs.  There are five: {C,M,S,H,s}.

> > Consequently the Alternate Control Modifier Key would simply
> > be associated with Alt, but to the key as Priority 2, which
> > can be Alt, Esc, etc.
>
> That seems like adding a lot of words with no real value-added.  If there are
> no keyboards in existance today > with a key labeled Meta, then the meaning is
> clear that it is the other modifier key without needing to resort to excessive
> verbosity.

C* That is not always precise because Emacs also recognises the Hyper and Super
Keys as well, which I use - although using hardware remapping for the location
of
those keys.

> On my keyboard the keys are labeled (center to left) space, command,
> alt/option,
> control, function.  Depending on Emacs version the Meta key seems to change
> between
> Command and Option, I tend to adapt.  However, I am getting to like using
> option

C* The new idea is to dissociate what is actually written on a particular
keyboard.
We name the Modifier Keys as "Control, Alternate Control, Hyper, Shift, Super".
Then associate the names to what one actual has printed on the keyboard.  One
can
use xev and xmodmap for that.  Example, one can say Alternate Control is "Alt"
on Peter's Keyboard whilst it is "Meta" or "Esc" on Shirley's Keyboard.  Whilst
the Alternate Control Key is "Option" on Frances' Keyboard.

> As far as I know the Function key is an OS-level key that modifies the
> keystrokes
> sent to the application, bnut I could be wrong.

C*  There are two key codes associated with each key, one communicates with
Applications,
whilst the other communicates with the Hardware.  They are different codes.

---------------------
Christopher Dimech
Chief Administrator - Naiad Informatics - GNU Project (Geocomputation)
- Geophysical Simulation
- Geological Subsurface Mapping
- Disaster Preparedness and Mitigation
- Natural Resource Exploration and Production
- Free Software Advocacy

> Sent: Sunday, October 25, 2020 at 9:12 PM
> From: "Francis Belliveau" <f.belliveau@comcast.net>
> To: No recipient address
> Cc: "Help Gnu Emacs" <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
> Subject: Re: Modifier Keys and the Archaic Meta Key
>

> > On Oct 25, 2020, at 09:46, Christopher Dimech <dimech@gmx.com> wrote:
> >
> > Rather than referring to the five principal Modifier Key,
> > immediately by Key Mnemonics, it is more useful to have
> > a name for them categorised by priority.
> >
> > The Five Principal Modifier Keys can be called Control,
> > Alternate, Hyper, Shift, Super, then associate any mnemonic
> > one wants (Ctrl, Ctl) (Meta, Alt, Esc).
>
> It seems to me that only makes sense on your keyboard, not mine.
> I have no problem with allowing users the ability to define other modifier
> keys, but
> that would likely require the underlying code to support more morifier bits
> that is
> does currently.

C* One can split Ctrl_L from Ctrl_R (and Alt_L from Alt_R, ... etc).