Re: How to dump Emacs and use as application snapshot?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: How to dump Emacs and use as application snapshot?
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2020 16:39:23 -0400

>> > I would like to be able to dump the emacs how it is, and then later
>> > just open it up similar to application snapshot feature at Amiga or
>> > Dragonfly BSD.
>> Maybe you're looking for desktop.el (which comes bundled with
>> Emacs)?
> I mean dumping Emacs from memory into file and loading it later into
> memory straight.

You're describing a means to an end (which may or may not exist and may
or may not work as you want it to (e.g. it probably won't magically
reopen the same number of frames at the same place on your screen)).

I'm describing another means to a similar end (which does exist).

Anyway, your answer implicitly tells me that desktop.el does not give
you the result you're looking for, tho I'm not sure exactly what it is
that is "missing".

        Stefan