Re: vterm-module compile error

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: vterm-module compile error
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2020 03:52:19 +0100

>> I am using it from git sources and it works without problems that
>> way. It does not work when installed as package.
>
> Thanks, I'll check it out, Gw! :)

It seems this is what God wanted to happen...

Here is what the developers say:

  Some distributions (e.g. Ubuntu < 20.04, Debian Stable) have
  versions of libvterm that are too old. If you find compilation
  errors related to VTERM_COLOR, you should not use your system
  libvterm. See FAQ for more details. [1]

I didn't find the FAQ ("no such anchor"), but the developers also say:

  If not available, libvterm will be downloaded during the
  compilation process. [1]

So what I did, I simply removed the repos' libvterm

  $ sudo apt-get remove libvterm0 libvterm-bin libvterm-dev

Then I deleted vterm from the Emacs package manager, and installed
it again. Now it gets an up-to-date libvterm from git, and all you
have to do is M-x vterm RET to start it. Wonderful!

Now everyone is thinking ... if it can do all that, why can't it
examine the installed libvterm, first thing? I don't know, but cool
that it works anyway.

Yes, at a glance vterm seems much faster and more robust than the
built-in alternatives.

[1] https://github.com/akermu/emacs-libvterm

--
underground experts united