Re: problems with Emacs 28

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: problems with Emacs 28
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2020 19:26:19 +0100

Stefan Monnier wrote:

>>> side-effect free - the function doesn't do any changes to
>>> anything, this implies non-destructiveness
>>
>> Which is also known as a 'pure' function.
>
> Are `gensym` and `current-time` side-effect-free? In my book,
> they're definitely not pure.

Again, why keep track of this? The things mentioned so far, increased
modularity and ease of debug, aren't anything really substantial, is
it? Besides those depend on so much more anyway.

Also, it isn't as simple as side-effect vs. pure. Because some
side-effects are what you want, and some are harmless.

To me, this seems like yet another theoretical model that is
interesting in its own right, it helps us think and reason, like we
are doing right now, but applied as a rulebook what to do as
a practically working engineer, it'll limit you rather than
enhance you.

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573