Re: Multiline Comments

From: Christopher Dimech
Subject: Re: Multiline Comments
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2020 13:14:56 +0100

> Sent: Monday, November 09, 2020 at 11:10 AM
> From: "Michael Heerdegen" <michael_heerdegen@web.de>
> To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
> Subject: Re: Multiline Comments
>
> Christopher Dimech <dimech@gmx.com> writes:
>
> > Have included the following macro for writing multiline comments
> >
> > (defmacro multic (&rest _) nil)
> >

> > But the thing complains when writing
> >
> > (multic
> >
> > #+STARTUP: content
> > * Adds Directories to load-path and the Melpa Package Archives)
>
> Yes indeed, such a macro will only allow to "comment" `read'able
> symbolic Elisp expressions.
>
> Even then it has another downside: even though the arguments are
> ignored, the macro expression will still be evaluated and return
> something (nil), so it may change the semantics of a surrounding form.
>
> Why do you want to avoid commenting with ";" btw?

Because I want to pass the file through Org-Mode and Rec-Utils, which
require Org and Rec Commands to start at the beginning of the line.

My workaround has been to include the commands within Double Quotes.

(multic "
#+STARTUP: content
* Adds Directories to load-path and the Melpa Package Archives")

But it would help if we can think of an improvement to multic, thus
looking for ideas I can try.