Re: How to use project.el

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: How to use project.el
Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2020 01:34:51 +0200

On 20.11.2020 16:52, excalamus--- via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor wrote:
With 27.1 out, I see talk of project.el, how great it is, and how it's been
around for years.  What I don't see is anything about how to use it.  There's
one sparse page in the manual, C-h i m emacs m Projects.  I've run
project-find-file and project-search.  I fail to see how they're fundamentally
different than find-file or grep.

I happen to have ESS installed which appears to use project.el.  It defines
some new methods.  I'll need to brush up on CL objects and generic methods,
though, before I can decipher how those interact with project.el.  In the
meantime, does anyone have a basic setup and usage example?

It's basically zero setup. If you don't have a Git repo for your project, the setup is 'git init'. The repo is the project, and the project files are all the non-ignored files in its root directory (registered or not). At least, that's with the built-in 'vc' backend.

To get the most benefit from the package, you should install the latest version from GNU ELPA ('M-x list-packages', then install 'project'). The latest version is 0.5.2.

To see the full list of commands defined in that package, type 'C-x p C-h'.

You can also read the full description of the package with 'C-h P project RET'.