Re: custom-set-faces for various file types

From: Christopher Dimech
Subject: Re: custom-set-faces for various file types
Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2020 22:16:45 +0100

> Sent: Sunday, November 22, 2020 at 9:57 PM
> From: "Michael Heerdegen" <michael_heerdegen@web.de>
> To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
> Subject: Re: custom-set-faces for various file types
>
> Christopher Dimech <dimech@gmx.com> writes:
>
> > I am setting custom-set-faces for various file types (e.g. .org).
> > I see that emacs requires  only one instance of custom-set-variables.
> >
> > When setting custom-set-faces for org mode, is it acceptable to put
> > the custom-set-faces code for that file type in the corresponding
> > org-init.el file (etc for other file types).
> >
> > Or is it a better strategy in have all custom-set-faces together?
>
> What is your goal?  Faces looking differently depending on the major
> mode?

I would like that some special constructs are highligthed so that the
contrast would be suitable for assistive reasons.  For instance, in
current texinfo modes, constructs in pure tex do not get highlighted.
So I have some code that uses custom-set-faces in texi-init.el.

The Manual says that custom-set-variables must be only called once.
I can call it once in emacs-init.el, then call custom-set-faces
in each major mode init file where I would like a change.

Another possibility is to put them all together in emacs-init.el that
sets the highlighting, even though I would also have separate
org-init.el, texi-init.el, and so on.