VC-log helpful modeline information not adapting to scope

From: Tomas Nordin
Subject: VC-log helpful modeline information not adapting to scope
Date: Tue, 01 Dec 2020 19:37:54 +0100

Hello Emacs

In the emacs repo, say, visiting INSTALL.REPO

C-x v l (vc-print-log)

gives me a log and a helpful message on the mode-line:

Git-Log-View from INSTALL.REPO

Helpful because indeed it logs changes that touch INSTALL.REPO.

Visiting the same file again and

C-x v L (vc-print-root-log)

Shows the same message in the log buffer and it seems less helpful
because now I see the log for the root of the repo.

Is this a bug or am I just misunderstanding something? I am trying to
get comfortable with VC namely. Not a show-stopper, but it doesn't help
me understand its behaviour.

Best regards and stay inside staring at your computer screens
--
Tomas