Re: nnimap splitting

From: phillip . lord
Subject: Re: nnimap splitting
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2020 21:37:43 +0000

On 2020-12-11 12:24, Leo Butler wrote:
phillip.lord@russet.org.uk writes:
On 2020-12-10 18:58, phillip.lord@russet.org.uk wrote:
On 2020-12-10 18:36, Pankaj Jangid wrote:
Phillip Lord <phillip.lord@russet.org.uk> writes:

I think
I am looking in the wrong place and my configuration here is not the
issue at all. I have no idea, unfortunately, what the issue is. If
this is supposed to work in Gnus, I think, it is getting all the
server information from somehwere else. NOt sure where!

C-h v gnus-server-alist RET

gnus-server-alist is a variable defined in ‘gnus.el’.
Its value is shown below.

Documentation:
Servers created by Gnus, or via the server buffer.
Servers defined in the user’s config files do not appear here.
This variable is persisted in the user’s .newsrc.eld file.

Value:

You need to edit this variable.

It's an odd design and I banged my head against this one for years
before I finally figured out why Gnus kept trying to open servers that I
had deleted from gnus-secondary-select-methods.

Yes, indeed, after extensive debugging, this does indeed appear to be the problem.

Gnus seems to be getting the imap address from .newsrc.eld during start up and all rest of the info from .authinfo.gpg, although in this case from gnus-newsrc-alist which is saved in .newsrc.eld. Everything in gnus-secondary-select-methods is thus ignored.

I have tried just tried ditching the server variables instead.

(setq
  nnimap-inbox "INBOX"
  nnimap-split-methods 'nnimap-split-fancy
  nnimap-split-fancy
  '(|
    ("subject" "split-into-temp" "temp-test")
    "temp-test"
    ))

This sort of works in that "B t" shows that mail messages go to "temp-test" as expected. However, attempting to respool with "B r" fails. Took me a while to debug this and the cause is because despite "B t" saying "temp-test", nnimap actually sends this command:

21:08:18 [localhost] 323 APPEND "mail.misc" {112079}

I am guessing that gnus does not like to be configured for both nnmail and nnimap splitting even when operating within a single backend. The solution might be just to start afresh.

Hmmm. This is not going smoothly!

Phil