Distributing binaries within Emacs packages

From: Jackson Benete
Subject: Distributing binaries within Emacs packages
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2020 18:45:33 -0300

Hello there,

I was chatting on r/emacs about a package I'm writing and some other
projects I have.

I was asking about the possibility on writing a common lisp software, and
compiling it to call inside emacs instead of calling shell to use OS tools
to do the job*, since those tools are not normally cross-OS available, I
could compile the common lisp tool for multiple platforms and distribute it
with the package.

The guy suggested to me to clarify the question with you by mail, because
he thinks that it's not possible to distribute binaries within packages
with the emacs package system.

Is it possible to distribute the package with those binaries? Or the only
way to do that is to share for people to clone it inside ".emacs.d/"
manually?

Thanks for your time!

Jackson Benete

*E.g. one of the packages aims to work with cryptography. Emacs have some
cryptography functions but it accepts only strings and buffers as objects,
but I need to use files as objects. I thought I could write something using
cl-ironclad and ship it within the package.