Re: let, let*, oh, why [was: Elisp - Function returning a list]

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: let, let*, oh, why [was: Elisp - Function returning a list]
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2020 20:42:16 +0300

* Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
<help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> [2020-12-18 17:28]:
> Well, it is intuitive to use let instead of creating global
> variables outside of the function. Isn't it? Well, to me it
> is. lexical-scope is intuitive in that it makes the most sense
> and is what you are used to from other languages, yeah, Lisp
> wasn't my first language. I think Basic, then C?

I did learn BASIC, then assembler, then machine language directly on
65C02 processor. Then we got LOGO and I learned it and it was
interesting. Years later I came to LISP and I find it is almost same
as LOGO, that is where I found familiarity.

As we were not exposed to free software and only to proprietary
software I did not have opportunity to access or learn other
languages. All the marketing was about proprietary software. Many
years I lost without liberties.