Re: TIL about string-rectangle

From: Skip Montanaro
Subject: Re: TIL about string-rectangle
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2020 17:24:25 -0600

> > Hmmm... That doesn't work for me. I've used rectangles a lot over the
> > years and have never seen query-replace and friends be constrained by
> > the currently defined rectangle.
>
> Are you sure?  After you activate the (rectangular)
> region, you may need to use `C-x C-x', so point is
> before mark, because query-replacing moves forward
> from point.

I used query-replace which highlights what it will replace. When I saw
it highlight strings outside the region, I thought, "Hmmm... That
doesn't look right." I accepted one substitution, and it moved onto
the next. It moved onto the next instance, which was outside the
rectangle.

> Works for me, with `emacs -Q' (no init file).

Just tried with -Q. Same result. It highlighted and wanted to replace
strings outside the defined rectangle. Not sure what's going on.

Skip