Stop emacs caching gpg keys

From: Colin Baxter
Subject: Stop emacs caching gpg keys
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2021 15:37:13 +0000

Hello,

I have GnuPG (gpg) version 2.1.18. As is well known, this version of gpg
has the utterly annoying habit of storing gpg keys in the cache for some
time (1 hour default, I think).

To stop this happening I run 'gpgconf --kill gpg-agent'. This works fine
in bash scripts that control the encryption, where I can put that
command in the script.

This is not so straightforward if I encrypt a file using emacs. On
saving, and removing the buffer, a supposedly encrypted file can be
opened without the need to enter a password. Of course, I can open a
shell within emacs and run 'gpgconf --kill gpg-agent' in order to clear
the cache. But is there a simpler way - an elisp way - of achieving the
same result?

Thanks.

Colin Baxter.