RE: [External] : Re: PROPOSAL: Repurpose one key and reserve it for thir

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: RE: [External] : Re: PROPOSAL: Repurpose one key and reserve it for third-party packages
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 2021 17:49:18 +0000

FWIW, I disagree with Gregory's proposal, which is a scaled-down version of my proposal, which is to reserve _ALL_ keys currently not bound by default, for 3rd-parties to use. He proposes to reserve only one key for that.

That's not the proposal, that's the way you look at the proposal. The proposal is to free one or two keys, and to reserve them for third-party libraries. Freeing one or two keys is (would be) an effort from the viewpoint of Emacs, which would give more freedom to both Emacs (to use the other keys as it wishes) and to third-party libraries (to use these keys as they wish).

Your proposal, "to reserve _ALL_ keys currently not bound by default", has I fear no chance whatsoever to be adopted. Emacs evolves, and deciding that it cannot bind any new key from now on would be an arbitrary constraint that would impair its evolution.