Re: not good proposal: "C-z <letter>" reserved for users

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: not good proposal: "C-z <letter>" reserved for users
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2021 13:13:00 +0300

* Yuri Khan <yuri.v.khan@gmail.com> [2021-02-09 12:11]:
> On Tue, 9 Feb 2021 at 13:45, Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support> wrote:
>
> > Emacs is used on console by millions of people. Console itself defines
> > C-z as suspend of the job, so C-z is always expecte to suspend the
> > job for many programs, not only Emacs.
>
> > Job control is important part of computer operation, that is why C-z
> > shall remain untouched, just how it is now.
>
> Why though? I believe when you suspend a program what you really want
> is a shell prompt, and you could get that by opening a new tab or pane
> in your terminal emulator, or a new screen, window or pane in tmux.

When considering various options one has to be aware of multiple
global installations of Emacs.

Console is not always terminal emulator under X, or tmux or screen.

Not all computers have those installed. Not evey user can install
those. Majority of students and including professors cannot install
anything on the system. Those installation jobs may be done by system
operators or BOFHs. Emacs may run on multi user systems where users
cannot or need not have any permissions to install additional software
such as screen or tmux.

Then when looking onto the job control in my opinion every program
that runs in shell should provide facilities for job control from
shell. Today there are millions if not billions of installations of
GNU/Linux on various VPSes and dedicated online servers. Personally I
use 4-5 of them and during one month I may change few of them. So many
shell commands and work is done strictly in terminals.

When I am suspending job in shell I may just want to do the other job
while having one running. I may want to use shell and I may want to do
administration with some other software than one suspended.

Suspending jobs in shell is fundamental, single software pieces like
Emacs should not break those year long features.

Jean