Re: not good proposal: "C-z <letter>" reserved for users

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: not good proposal: "C-z <letter>" reserved for users
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2021 22:49:41 +0300

* Gregory Heytings <gregory@heytings.org> [2021-02-10 22:31]:
> > From shell point of view C-z shall suspend the job. I do not even
> > consider C-z being Emacs-based but now I assume it is decision of Emacs
> > to keep C-z as how it should be in the shell. When opening a new VPS to
> > process various jobs one would then need to first configure Emacs to
> > have job control working. That is not useful. It would break many habits
> > and expected behavior.
>
> The proposal in this thread has little to do with the proposal in the
> "PROPOSAL: Repurpose one key..." thread.  In that proposal it is explicitly
> stated that C-z C-z would be bound to "suspend-frame".  IOW, all you'd have
> to do is to press three keys instead of two to suspend. Repeating a key
> until it produces the desired effect is something terminal users are used to
> do, for example, repeating C-c until the program aborts.

I understand you wish to use C-z as prefix for more functions, is it?

Is that the only key?

Maybe you are always on the US keyboard, but I am not. I travel in
development countries and may use Norwegian, German, Croatia or US and
US-like keyboards, and such keyboards do not have always Z and Y on
same place, they are exchangeable. It is not really handy and
practical to remember and get used to it, especially for people using
multiple computers.

Why not repurpose C-0 to C-9 as that could be anyway used with C-u 9
for example, and then C-0 to C-9 could become various prefix keys.

C-0 0 or/and C-0 C-0 could become same as what is now C-0 while
keeping all those C-0 to C-9 as various prefix keys.

Jean