Re: PROPOSAL: Repurpose one key and reserve it for third-party packages

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: Re: PROPOSAL: Repurpose one key and reserve it for third-party packages
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 2021 08:33:39 +0000

To me what you propose looks pretty close to using customize to set a foobar-set-global-binding variable that would be used in a call to global-set-key.

Yes, that could also be done, the precise code that is generated is an open question

But that would be forbidden by the guideline "Don't define 'C-c LETTER' as a key in Lisp programs", wouldn't it?

(defcustom foobar-global-key "" "Foobar global key in C-c")
(if (length foobar-global-key)
  (global-set-key (kbd (concat "C-c " foobar-global-key) 'foobar-foo-command)))

If that's allowed, then why not this?

(defcustom foobar-global-key "z" "Foobar global key in C-c")
(if (length foobar-global-key)
  (global-set-key (kbd (concat "C-c " foobar-global-key) 'foobar-foo-command)))

This is not very different from the first one, and does what the guideline forbids, but it could be argued that it does not because it does so only conditionally...

But even considering that, what do you think that the long-term issue is? Do you think that with time, people will be using more and more packages that need global keys?

I do not think, I see. Just have a look at the starter kits, or at the init files of those who make them public. You'll see that there are many packages that need global keys.