Re: PROPOSAL: Repurpose one key and reserve it for third-party packages

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: PROPOSAL: Repurpose one key and reserve it for third-party packages
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 2021 18:24:40 +0300

* Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
<help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> [2021-02-13 18:10]:
> Jean Louis wrote:
>
> > If s-a is prefix key, 26 letters + 26 upper case letters +
> > 10 numbers plus 32 symbols on my keyboard is 94 combinations
> > multiplied by 94 possible other following keys, not counting
> > possible middle suffix keys, yields ations is 8836 possible
> > bindings with Super key on this keyboard.
>
> Are you trying to compute the total number of keybindings?
>
> What do you mean by "middle suffix keys"?

That was mistake, sharp-eye. I was meaning prefix after prefix.

When s-p is prefix one can make s-p p also prefix, that increases
rapidly number of available keys. I favor prefixes like

MODIFIER-LETTER SAME-LETTER-AGAIN as such can be invoked quicker.

> What is the Super key? A modifier like C and M? Here are
> a bunch of standards:
>
>   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO/IEC_9995

Solution to make Super key work in console shall be
practical. Do you have more specific reference?