Re: not good proposal: "C-z <letter>" reserved for users

From: Robert Thorpe
Subject: Re: not good proposal: "C-z <letter>" reserved for users
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2021 06:29:41 +0000

Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
<help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> writes:

> Robert Thorpe wrote:
>
>> I never said that shell job control is the only way to
>> achieve these objectives.
>>
>> But, it is a very quick way of doing it. Opening another
>> tmux tab then running something like kill or top is much
>> more long-winded. It takes dozens of keypresses rather than
>> just one.
>
> Well, if I would really rely on this, I think I'd have
> a dedicated tmux pane or set of panes with some interactive
> software and all the processes shown and grouped in an
> organized way.
>
> But the point is, if you have tmux you don't need to suspend
> your editor in order to do a routine task. You can just bring
> forward an empty tmux pane anytime and do whatever task
> there instead.
>
> The very few times one has to kill processes manually sending
> signals the shell tools seem more than enough capable and also
> fast enough to do this.
>
> Like I said, if I ever needed something better and faster, and
> I don't know where that'd be? - but anyway then I'd look for
> something even bigger, rather than much smaller.
>
> - Sir, we have a problem! The shell tools aren't fast enough!
> - Son, suspend the text editor!
> - Sir yes sir!

I don't really want to talk about this much more, since it's not that
relevant to Emacs.  Still....

Some problems can be solved by one big tool.  Other problems are better
solved by several tools.  In my view process control is one of the
latter.  Yes, things like top are very useful, but so are simpler things
like shell job control commands.

It's not a matter of particularly wanting to stop the Emacs job.  Though
I certainly stop it from time-to-time.  It's more that once you have job
control and you get into the habit of using it then you expect every
program to obey Control-z.

BR,
Robert Thorpe