Re: Mostly curtail font-lock-mode

From: Vasilii Kolobkov
Subject: Re: Mostly curtail font-lock-mode
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2021 22:07:27 +0200

Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
<help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> writes:

> What do you know (not much), never heard of an Emacs IRC user
> that didn't do ERC...

It's a nice small piece of software!

>> Now i wonder what would be the most effective way to disable
>> most of the work font-lock would do (e.g. figuring out the
>> syntax structures), but still have it nominally enabled so
>> that i could make use of it in the mode line? Any hints on
>> general direction to do it would be very much appreciated!
>
> I don't know, does it come with its own faces? You can disable
> them one by one but if it doesn't - implement faces
> that inherit? Much work for little gain, perhaps?

I might've expressed myself a bit clumsy - my intent is to keep
font-lock working for the sake of mode line formatting and not the
buffer content.

E.g. i might customize all the faces used in modes i don't want
fontified to be same as `default' and thus have the desired visual
effect, but then there would still be a lot of work wasted by fontifying
everything with the same face.