boost interactive feel speed (was: Re: How to debug memory leaks)

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: boost interactive feel speed (was: Re: How to debug memory leaks)
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2021 16:10:01 +0100

Arthur Miller wrote:

> Would there be any way for Emacs to unload unused fonts? GC?

ikr?

I'd like a list of things to do to speed up Emacs, and in
particular WRT the interactive feel.

Do emacs -Q and it is just so much faster.

The answer I've got so far is

1) hooks slows it down, sure I have a bunch of hooks, 30 to be
exact by they have mostly to do with different modes, many of
which I almost never use, prolog-mode-hook-f, just doesn't
happen a lot, and

2) put this somewhere

  (setq garbage-collection-messages nil)
  (setq gc-cons-threshold           3000000)
  (setq inhibit-default-init        t)

no idea if it gets faster that way. Not as fast as -Q, by far.

I also tried with nice(1) but what I can tell no difference

  $ nice -n -18 emacs -nw

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal