Re: Why Gnus is creating .nnmaildir directory in my maildir?

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Why Gnus is creating .nnmaildir directory in my maildir?
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2021 00:01:06 +0300

* Utkarsh Singh <utkarsh190601@gmail.com> [2021-04-13 18:27]:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to configure Gnus on my GNU/Linux system.  I will first
> try to give background for my problem.
>
> 1. I am using mbsync/isync to fetch mail.
> 2. msmtp as `sendmail-program'.
> 3. '~/.local/share/mail/email-id' as maildir.
> 4. notmuch as mail indexer.
>
> Overview of my maildir:
> ~/.local/share/mail/utkarsh190601@gmail.com $ ls
> INBOX  [Gmail].Drafts     [Gmail].Sent       [Gmail].Spam     [Gmail].Trash
> Sent   [Gmail].Important  [Gmail].Sent Mail  [Gmail].Starred
>
> *Problem: Gnus is creating .nnmaildir directory in my maildir.*
>
> Due to this whenever I try to run 'notmuch new' (command to update
> indexer database) it gives several lines long warning:
> ignoring non-mail file .nnmaildir/cur/..'
>
> I think there is something wrong with my setup because no other email
> client creates extra file when reading maildir (neomutt, notmuch-mua).

You are totally right, that should not be there, and is not a
standard for Maildirs. With 48000+ maildirs on my side Gnus is totally
disturbing the system and cannot ever even start.

Is useless for Maildirs.

So I keep using mutt within Emacs or from outside term.

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

https://stallmansupport.org/