Re: indentation

From: Wayne Harris
Subject: Re: indentation
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2021 18:14:36 -0300

>> Yes, it may be a bug/ feature of the F90 mode. But it got annoying
>> only when
>> the electric mode was active, otherwise the formatting was controlable
>> (e.g. by tab key) and not disturbing.
>
> Indeed.  `electric-indent-mode` presumes that the indentation code
> gets it right.  If that's not the case, then you're better off disabling
> it (or, as Joost points out, just disabling the reindentation by setting
> `electric-indent-inhibit`).
>
> But that doesn't mean we shouldn't try to make the indentation "do the
> right thing" ;-)

FWIW, I almost gave up from going from 24.3 to 27.1 precisely because of

  electric-indent-mode

without knowing that was the cause of the new behavior (in my
perspective).  Today I was writing some TeX and the following happened.
Let me use ``[]'' to represent the point.

\noindent {\em Notation.} As we often write polynomials in
finite rings of characterisc 2, let's define
%v
  \[\poly(x) = ...\]
%e
in the same way that it was used in the introduction.  []%% Well...

When I pressed RET, I got this

\noindent {\em Notation.} As we often write polynomials in
finite rings of characterisc 2, let's define
%v
  \[\poly(x) = ...\]
%e
  in the same way that it was used in the introduction.
  []%% Well...

I have been reading this thread, so I just turned it off for the first
time.  I got used to it in other ways, but this behavior up there made
me turn it off and leave it off from now on.  (And it scared the hell
out of me when I saw it first.  Lol.)

Having said that, I recognize that many times I get to see new features
because they become the default.  It takes a long while for me to
actually dig new features as an attempt to solve a problem.  But you
know me by now --- I like stability a lot and so I stick to a version
for many, many years.