Re: require (was: Re: Hooks in minor modes)

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: require (was: Re: Hooks in minor modes)
Date: Sat, 01 May 2021 08:09:57 +0200

Jean Louis wrote:

>> If I OTOH would want ~/tmp why would I try to point to that
>> with "."? [...] instead I would add it hard-coded.
>> but I only want ~/tmp when that's where I am and that is
>> what "." means.
>
> Sure I got it you keep "." as it is for you a way to load
> scripts from current directory wherever you are. That way
> you load those from directory.
>
> To me that defeats the purpose of load-path, as it is normally used
> from scripts

script = Elisp source file? If so that's the same
situation here.

> directory

Ironically that is what is achieved here. Put A and B in the
the directory and from then on that directory can be anywhere,
A can still require B with "."

And BTW how do _you_ think it should be done? I should put
stuff a particular place, then hard-code that? Then add an
installer that does it so it is exactly like that? And if the
user doesn't like it - well, tough for HIM, huh, because there
is nothing he can do about it, like put it somewhere else?
Because, the hard-coded load paths would then be broken and
the whole software, also.

That better? (No.)

What do you suggest? (Yes?)

--