Mac (10.15), fink, emacs+ispell seems not too work

From: Uwe Brauer
Subject: Mac (10.15), fink, emacs+ispell seems not too work
Date: Fri, 07 May 2021 18:13:39 +0200

Hi

I am running MacOS 10.5, installed fink, ispell and some dictionaries,
such as amercian, british, german etc.
I also either run emacs 27 from emacsforosx or a recently compiled
version from git master

However when I run ispell (or flyspell for that matter), selecting say
the american dictonary, then running ispell buffer on some text with
deliberate mistakes, ispell finds these mistakes, but does not who any
alternative, for example

 Halllo  I would exspect Hallo

As it does in Ubuntu 16.04

Does anybody else see this?