Re: Setting up user defined texinfo headlines using outline-heading-alis

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Setting up user defined texinfo headlines using outline-heading-alist
Date: Thu, 13 May 2021 23:56:49 -0400

> I would be grateful for some explanation of variables "outline-regexp" and
> "outline-heading-alist".

`outline-regexp` is the most important setting for outline.el since it
defines which lines are considered headings.

`outline-heading-alist` is a relatively late addition to `outline.el`,
very rarely used.  Basically it's just there for `outline-promote` and
`outline-demote`.

> Do we really need to have both outline-heading-alist and texinfo-section-list,

Of course: `texinfo-section-list` is the variable that defines for
`texinfo.el` the sectioning commands that are in use.  It can be set by
the user to adapt to their own Texinfo needs.

`outline-heading-alist` is used as the way for `texinfo.el` to tell
`outline.el` which heading promotes/demotes to which.

        Stefan