Re: Determining existence of text following point

From: Christopher Dimech
Subject: Re: Determining existence of text following point
Date: Tue, 18 May 2021 13:26:12 +0200

---------------------
Christopher Dimech
General Administrator - Naiad Informatics - GNU Project (Geocomputation)
- Geophysical Simulation
- Geological Subsurface Mapping
- Disaster Preparedness and Mitigation
- Natural Resource Exploration and Production
- Free Software Advocacy

> Sent: Tuesday, May 18, 2021 at 11:07 PM
> From: tomas@tuxteam.de
> To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
> Subject: Re: Determining existence of text following point
>
> On Tue, May 18, 2021 at 12:08:42PM +0200, Christopher Dimech wrote:
> > How is it that the following returns nil?
> >
> > (setq sa (string-match "[^[:blank:]]" "     "))
>
> Because you stated to match any non-blank character and there
> are only blank characters to match.

The docstring for string-match is

"Return index of start of first match for REGEXP in STRING, or nil."

I find the description different from what string-match actually returns.