Re: Simplification of outline-minor-mode

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Simplification of outline-minor-mode
Date: Sat, 22 May 2021 00:24:46 +0300

* pietru@caramail.com <pietru@caramail.com> [2021-05-22 00:04]:

> Could there be some consistency in outline-mode as it does get very confusing.
> For instance, "Show Branches", "Show Children", "Hide Leaves", "Hide
> Sublevels".
> Lot of esoteric names (leaves, brances), and then it switches to human beings
> (children).

Confusion is unavoidable. Please M-x report-emacs-bug and propose
something better.

Show Menu:
==========
Show All is on first place, it opens it all

Hide Menu:
==========
Hide Body is on second place, it does the opposite to Show all

It should be: Show All - Hide All, both on first place in menus, IMHO.

Show Menu <----> Hide Menu:
===========================
2nd place: Show Entry (means show the body), but in Hide Menu is called "Hide
Body"

In this case at least the order is somehow right, we give kudo to author.

But look, maybe people drink late night, or consume something, we
don't know where the menu creation like that comes from...

Either: Show Body - Hide Body, or Show Entry - Hide Entry, that makes
sense. Maybe author waits for bug reports as that is how they know
that people use it...

If one hovers with mouse over "Show branches" it speaks about "Show
all subheadings"... hahahhahah

I don't think "children" should be used there, as that is not really
for authors of text. It would be better that menu items get more
descriptive, more clear. Mouse tips in the echo area are more
descriptive, menu items are confusing.

File a bug and propose how it should be.

I will not file a bug, I will keep it for M-x entertaining-mode. I can
give it to some staff members to count how many hours they need until
they get it. (I don't get it.)

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns