Re: Elisp headers (was: Re: subheadings for elisp files)

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Elisp headers (was: Re: subheadings for elisp files)
Date: Mon, 24 May 2021 00:38:45 +0300

* Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
<help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> [2021-05-24 00:17]:

> >> Yes. I tried to search for some information but did
> >> not find.
> >
> > I use this settings as I like to have this below as header:
>
> checkdoc is
>
>   Interactively check the entire buffer for style errors.
>   The current status of the check will be displayed in
>   a buffer which the users will view as each check
>   is completed.
>
> So why it doesn't report on previous errors that are not
> cosmetic but literally brakes installation attempts using
> Emacs own facilities (which were unknown to me) I don't know,
> but maybe you Jean can write a `verify-header' function to do
> it, then they can add it to checkdoc if they fancy it, if not
> we can just use it anyway :)
>
>   https://dataswamp.org/~incal/emacs-packs
>   https://dataswamp.org/~incal/fps/

My opinion is that Emacs is just fine. And I have the workflow. Some
programs are in separate files, some are within same file, sometimes
functions from one file go out of it and become separate file. When
file is usable as an installed package even without my personal
environment, then it may become a package.

Helpful workflow for preparation of packages:

1. Enable lexical-binding = t, with:
   {M-x add-file-local-variable-prop-line RET lexical-binding RET t RET}
   even in cases that you wish to have a package without lexical
   binding. Compiler warnings will help you find errors. Later you may
   remove it if really necessary. In majority of cases it should stay
   with lexical binding;

2. M-x emacs-list-byte-compile, then clear any errors you may find;
   repeat this step until there are no errors:

3. M-x checkdoc-current-buffer and repeat it until the documentation
   strings and style are cleared;

4. Invoke M-x package-header for licensing and packaging purposes;

5. M-x package-install-from-buffer or M-x package-install-file may
   detect issues previously not detected; solve each problem until
   there are really no errors; sometimes errors shall remain there as
   they serve the development process;

6. After that should follow same installation of a package and
   verifications for Emacs stable versions;

7. Once fully error free, your package may be ready for public
distribution.

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns