Re: Emacs 28.0.50 and facemenu-set-bold

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Emacs 28.0.50 and facemenu-set-bold
Date: Tue, 25 May 2021 12:34:28 +0300

* Christopher Dimech <dimech@gmx.com> [2021-05-25 12:02]:

> I simply put "(facemenu-set-bold)" in my init file

Oh, no...      ಠ_ಠ

Not like that...

Well let me say that most probably the function (facemenu-set-bold) in
your init file worked correctly, you just have not seen it. This may
be because it was executed in a buffer where you did not participate.

So first is to ask Emacs what it means by using:

             {C-h f facemenu-set-bold RET}

Where it will say:

facemenu-set-bold is an interactive compiled Lisp function.

It is bound to <menu-bar> <edit> <Text Properties> <fc> b.

(facemenu-set-bold)

Select face ‘bold’ for subsequent insertion.
If the mark is active and there is no prefix argument,
apply face ‘bold’ to the region instead.
This command was defined by ‘facemenu-add-new-face’.

So if it is "interactive" it means it is not supposed to be invoked
from init.el file but if you insist, you are free to do so.

It is meant for "subsequent insertion".

How about you explain what you really wish to achieve? Do you want all
fonts to be bold? In that case why not use

                   {M-x customize-face RET default RET}

and then set it bolder or how you wish it to be.

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

https://stallmansupport.org/