Re: How users start programming in Emacs Lisp...

From: Eduardo Ochs
Subject: Re: How users start programming in Emacs Lisp...
Date: Sun, 30 May 2021 21:34:01 -0300

On Sun, 30 May 2021 at 20:03, Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support> wrote:

> I would underline it and enable mouse hyperlinks as well. Yes,
> Eduardo? Why not...

Hi Jean Louis,

I tried to implement something like that in the early 2000s, but the
code that I managed to write was ugly, buggy, and only highlighted a
few constructions. But font locking was much more primitive then...

I think that the right way to do that now would be to start by writing
a sandboxed tutorial - like this one here

  http://angg.twu.net/eev-intros/find-elisp-intro.html
  (find-elisp-intro)

that would teach people how font locking works, and how to use tools
like font-lock-studio. Then on top of that I could try to implement
some kinds of font locking for eev, and by doing that people would
treat my code as something meant to be explored and extended instead
of as something that is "just crap"...

  [[]], E.